We should always keep in mind that a double stroller is a basic baby gear necessity that is exposed to environmental elements, come rain or shine, as well as unavoidable human accidents like food or drink spills. Hence, it’s very important that we keep it clean so that your baby won’t be exposed to the bacteria that these elements bring. What’s more, your baby gets to use it for a long time too because it’s maintained to stay as good as new.
So, how do you go about in cleaning your double stroller?
- Ensure that your double stroller is kept away from prolonged sunlight exposure, water, rain and snow. It should be stored in a dry place to prevent mould and fungi build-ups. Furthermore, to avoid rust, you need to dry any metal part before you store it.
- If you have been jogging or running off roads, make sure that you wipe away the dust, mud or sand from the moving parts of the double stroller to avoid damage. You can do this by wiping it down with a cloth and soapy warm water. To spray your wheels and wheel joints, use light aerosol can oil. Be sure to check your wheels regularly and do note that bleach should never be a cleaning option.
- The seat fabric should always be clean. You can use your hover to take out any dirt and wipe the seat clean with lukewarm water. Again, bleach or bleaching agents should never be employed. Some fabrics of double strollers are removable and can be washed in the washing machine so be sure to check your manual.
Okay, so that’s basically the gist for generic cleaning but what about in cases wherein your double stroller has developed mould in the fabric? Are you aware that exposure to mold can give off toxic fumes? As such is the case, mold should be taken out at first sighting. Now some people opt for bleach to do this job but using white vinegar is better because it’s free from chemicals and certainly non-toxic.
Now, how do you take get rid of mould from your double stroller with white vinegar?
- First up, you need to pour white vinegar into a spray bottle. No dilution necessary.
- Spray the mouldy areas of your double stroller with the vinegar.
- Place the double stroller under the sun for a span of 1-2 hours. This enables the vinegar to act against the mould and have it deteriorate under the heat of the sun.
- Have 2-3 drops of dish detergent in a pail of water. Wipe the stroller down with this solution using a sponge. Ensure that you get to remove all signs of mould.
- Rinse and remove soapy residue with clean water and sponge.
- Finally, you can now wipe your double stroller dry with a clean cloth. To make sure that it’s completely dry, place your double stroller under direct sunlight for 2-3 hours.
Now, what about mildew stains on fabric? This is usually brought about by long periods of storage. Just like moulds, mildew must be immediately eliminated before usage of the double stroller because it contains living pores that pose threat and danger to your baby’s health. You can use available household cleaning products to kill mildew and keep them from growing back.
And finally, how do you go about in removing the mildew from your double stroller?
Make a mixture of 1/2 cup white vinegar, 3 teaspoon baking soda and a few squirts of lemon juice. The active ingredient in this combination is the vinegar which does the mildew killing and blockage of further growth. If you’ve noticed, all ingredients are natural so there’s definitely no way of harming your baby.
- Pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- Use a scrubbing brush to brush off any excess mildew from the stroller’s fabric with a scrubbing brush.
- Spray the solution to the mildew stained fabric of the double stroller.
- Use a terry cloth to wipe away any mildew. Wash it with cold water and then wipe the stroller fabric so that it will be free from any residue.
- Allow the stroller to dry for about an hour.
There you go… a comprehensive guide to cleaning your double stroller covering the basics and even tackling how to get rid of eliminating stubborn mould and mildew. These tips are sure to help you keep your double stroller in tip-top condition so that your babies can still for the next coming years.